I just wish the draft would get here. For some reason this seems like the longest offseason ever.
That's because the focus (and discussion) turned to the off-season sometime in October.You may be right.
Which is not surprising when you start out 0-7 or whatever it was (trying to forget)........but the fact we've been speculating on all these things for that long probably makes it seem like it had been forever.
And FF4E just hummin' alongI don't follow much American League baseball, and I generally do not comment on things I am not comfortable delving into.
I can say I hate the Yankees though. Just because.
I agree, but it's getting a decent amount of press today...
I do not believe it. I am sure the topic is discussed, why wouldn't it be?
Dolphins general manager Jeff Ireland wanted to make one thing very clear on Monday – he is the one in charge of the Dolphins’ first-round pick, not owner Stephen Ross.
Ireland, appearing on ProFootballTalk.com’s live webcast today, shot down reports from PFT and Sports Illustrated’s Peter King that Ross will force the Dolphins to draft Texas A&M quarterback Ryan Tannehill with the eighth overall pick to help sell season tickets and ease the sting of a lackluster offseason.
The Dolphins may still draft Tannehill on Thursday night, but Ireland said it won’t be because Ross pressured him to do so.
“Steve is very engaged, but he’s also very supportive in leaving the decisions of the draft to me and coach (Joe) Philbin and our scouts,” Ireland said. “I don’t feel pressure from the owner, and he’s not pressuring me, for that matter. I don’t know where that’s coming from. He’s always allowed me to make the football decisions.”
“He understands the thought process, he stands by our draft analysis, he knows the kind of preparation that goes into it and he’s fully supportive of us making the best pick that improves our football team the best.”
But Ireland did mention several times that Ross is “very engaged” with his football team, and confirmed that Ross will be in the Dolphins’ war room during the draft.
“He’ll be sitting right next to me, I’m sure,” Ireland said.
Ireland said the two talk about football frequently.
“He throws some things out there, we discuss it,” Ireland said. “But they’re just conversations. They’re not recommendations by any means.”
Many observers believe the Dolphins need to draft Tannehill to solve the team’s quarterback conundrum and smooth over the team’s reputation among fans and media after failing to land Peyton Manning, Matt Flynn and Jeff Fisher this offseason. The Dolphins haven’t drafted a quarterback in the first round since Dan Marino in 1983, and cycled through 16 starting quarterbacks since Marino retired in 2000.
But Ireland reiterated that Ross has “absolutely not” put pressure on him to make football moves that would help sell season tickets, which are hovering in the 30,000s, their lowest level in three decades.
“We just want to win. That’s one thing that Steve is absolutely adamant on,” Ireland said. “And his commitment and support to winning is absolute. It’s not ambiguous at all. And he supports the people that are making decisions from a football standpoint.”
Ireland also confirmed that the team released defensive Phillip Merling on Monday morning. Merling, the first pick of the second round in 2008 (32nd overall), had just five starts and 3.5 sacks in four seasons with the Dolphins. Merling also had a domestic issue in 2010 in which charges were dropped, and he tore his Achilles tendon before the 2010 season in a non-football injury.
Merling signed a restricted free agent tender on April 10 that would have paid him $1.26 million this year, but the Dolphins had no plans to have him on the roster. They offered him the RFA tender with the hopes that another team would sign him, which would have given the Dolphins an extra second-round pick. Once no other team signed Merling to an offer sheet, the Dolphins waived him.
And Ireland said the team was not aware that linebacker Koa Misi was facing legal troubles in California when he was arrested last month. Misi, entering his third NFL season, pleaded not guilty to three felony charges last week, according to the Santa Barbara Independent. The arrest is related to a drunken altercation that occurred in April 2011, during the NFL lockout. Eleven months later, authorities charged Misi with battery with serious injury, residential burglary and dissuading a witness.
“We did not know that,” Ireland said. “I’m not even sure that Koa knew about the charges until he got arrested.”
“He throws some things out there, we discuss it,” Ireland said. “But they’re just conversations. They’re not recommendations by any means.”Which is exactly what I was suggesting above.
3. There really is no plan, and Ross has little idea what he is doing. He stuck with Ireland because there wasn't necessarily a more viable option at the moment.I do believe they've always had a plan. With Parcells here the plan was his. Big, tough, and physical.